Friday, February 20, 2009

Books devoutly to be wished

Recent additions to the TBR pile

Carlos Ruiz Zafon has a new book - The Angel's Game - yay! If you loved The Shadow of the Wind like I did, with its romantic mystery steeped in the world of books, I hear that you will love this one too. I am always a little wary of sequels, or in this case prequels, but I am ever hopeful.






I don't honestly remember what made me suddenly interested in reading Patricia Highsmith's Ripley novels. To date I have only read her insidious short fiction. I have heard these books are alluringly creepy and people who like them seem to want to read them all. I think I will give them a try.






Cornflower Books spoke warmly of An Equal Stillness, a fictional biography of a woman who must balance her lives as painter and member of a family (in a way men rarely seem to have to do, or at least their doing so has not provoked too many novels). I am particularly interested in Francesca Kay's skilled evocation of paintings in words (already an accomplishment) but, as this is a fictional biography, these paintings did not even exist for her to describe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve been keeping my eyes on Ruiz Zafon's latest as well, hoping he hasn’t snuck in a new one without my knowing. He has a knack for engrossing readers to the very end.